Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Day 4

                                                                    Day 4
                                                 Wickenburg AZ to Cottonwood, AZ
                                                                    103 miles


     I actually started out the day organized and on schedule for once.  I'm starting to get into the routine now.  The key is to get everything laid out the night before so there will be as little thinking as possible in the morning as to what needs to be put on and put away.  I've even taken to writing myself notes that I leave in my bike shoes to remember things like the pillow, the phone charger, the bike, etc.
     The group as a whole seemed concerned about the day ahead, in particular the 8000 feet of climbing.  To be honest, I wasn't particularly worried about it, as I enjoy climbing to some degree and have done a lot more climbing then that in one day.  As it turned out, it was a harder day than I expected as we were hitting headwinds in what ever direction we were headed.  Thus, the entire day up until the final 15 mile descent seemed like a climb.  We started out towards Prescott on Rt. 89N and started climbing immediately to Yarnell Pass.  This was more of a gradual climb until the final 7 miles when it hit a steady 6% grade.  Then it was a small descent but into headwinds which slowed us down a lot.  We then got onto Rt. 89A and started our climb up Mt. Mingus, at 7000 feet.  In the final 7 miles we rose 2000 feet.  It was very pretty with less desert and more forest.  The final 15 miles involved coasting and braking as we descended 3800 feet to Cottonwood.  There were a lot of switchbacks and hairpin turns.  The brake pads got a workout.  I really tried to take it easy and was well within my safety and comfort zone.  I did hit a speed of 40 MPH on one straightaway, but had no interest in going any faster.
     Once at the hotel room, I was eager to try out a useful way to clean and disinfect the water bottles....Efferdent.  Yes, you throw a tablet into a water bottle filled with hot water, shake it up, and let it do its thing.  The bottle comes out smelling minty fresh.  I then went out to eat immediately.  It's important in terms of recovery to get some serious food in as soon as possible after you finish the ride.  I'm doing very well in this department.  (I may be the only person ever to gain weight on one of these trips).  The favorite post ride drink that people seem to go for is a milkshake. For now I'm sticking with Endurox, but I could be swayed.  I also made the potentially disastrous decision to wash ALL of my bike shorts in the sink.  It wasn't long before I realized that in spite of multiple wringings, they still are soaked.  I've now taken to using a hairdryer on them and placing them on every available lamp in the room.  I hope that at least one pair is dry by morning, otherwise.....well, I don't even want to think about it.
     Tomorrow we're off to Winslow, AZ via Sedona and Flagstaff.  We all plan to get our picture taken, standing on a corner there.

-Grinner

Celebrating at the top of Mt. Mingus




     

3 comments:

  1. The key to getting up and get going in the morning is to do what your children did when they were little: Sleep in tomorrow's clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Per Bob's suggestion, please try sleeping in your wet bibs. The Angel

    ReplyDelete