Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Day 3

                                                     Day 3  Blythe, AZ to Wickenburg, AZ

                                                      (aka the day of the missing 5.5 miles)

     Today was to be an important test to see how well my body would hold up.  I'd done a century ride two days in a row at home, but never three in a row.  When I awoke I made an important strategic decision.  A few weeks back, I decided to try a different saddle that Chris at Erik's had recommended.  Initially I was ready to return it, but stuck with it to see if the pain and suffering would eventually get better.  As most cyclists know, pain and suffering are integral to the sport.  This is why we sit on saddles with the cushioning capabilities of granite.  Thus the discomfort was to be expected.  I kept the saddle and shipped my bike out with it.  However, I brought my old Fizik Aliante saddle along in my luggage just in case.  This morning, after running my hand across the rock hard surface of my new saddle and contemplating the sad state of my butt two days into the ride, I switched back to my Fizik.  I know one rider at home that will be delighted to hear this news.  He soon will be having a bike fitting session with Chris at Erik's and was worried that Chris might strong arm him into switching saddles.  This person, has managed over the years to accumulate an enormous number of Aliante saddles, each costing hundreds of dollars.  I estimate he owns about 70 Aliante's, many of which are still in their original boxes, stockpiled in the event the company stopped making them, ready if he would ever need a spare.  He loves the saddle.  If he were to commit to a different saddle, it would likely result in personal bankruptcy and a messy divorce. 

     The ride started well.  I managed to leave on time with the group.  We soon found ourselves on I-10 again and about 5 miles later we were pulled over by the police.  I didn't think we were speeding and assumed that we were to be told (incorrectly) that bikes are not allowed on the interstate.  Instead we were told that there was construction ahead for the next three miles and cars and trucks were being forced onto the shoulder.  We would not be permitted to continue and would have to arrange to be transported around this.  We called up Mike the ride director and he came and picked up our troop in two vans and two trips with the bicycles on top, and deposited us 5.5 miles down the road.  We lost about an hour in this. We also lost our ability to say that we pedaled the entire route coast to coast.  I did feel a little down about this until the staff pointed out that not only does this happen regularly at least once every trip but we will also be taking a ferry across the Mississippi.  Regardless, there wasn't any choice in the matter, and in the totality of this, it's no big deal.
     The route today was an easy one to follow.  We stayed on I-10 until taking Rt. 60 East, which we would stay on for 80 miles until our hotel.  The ride however was not so easy.  It was hot and we had a strong crosswind from the North to contend with all day.  In addition, although there were occasional nice smooth patches of asphalt to ride on, much of it was pretty rough.  We also climbed 4000 feet over most of the day but ended with a grateful 10 mile descent into Wickenburg.  Total miles 110.  Avg speed 18.1. 
     Physically, I don't feel that bad.  I'm a little sore, but nothing like how I've felt after the Horribly Hilly Hundreds, various triathlons or the one marathon I did.  Tomorrow could be a hard day.  It's 102 miles to Cottonwood, AZ, but involves 8750 ft of climbing.  They've also scheduled the breakfast for 5:30 AM, the earliest yet, which is a way to tell us that we can expect a long day.   More to follow. 

-Grinner


Our first state crossing

Great sign as you leave Hope, AZ
Loading the vans for the 5.5 ride.  See how helpful I am. 

4 comments:

  1. You're doing great! I'm loving your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grinner --

    So sorry to hear that you've abandoned your quest to cycle across America on your own steam. I've arranged, per your request, for the Lear jet between Colorado and Missouri. I've kitted the jet out with spare Aliantes. The pilot is particularly appreciative.

    Enjoy the rest of this very cushy trip.

    Yours, The Angel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do not fret about your 5.5 missing miles. You can claim your missing miles. Go to the website of Etihad Airways. "If some of your miles are missing, you can reclaim them with Etihan Airways." Of course, after you complete your transcontinental bike ride, you must fly to Abu Dhabi or Dubai to reclaim your 5.5 missing miles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark:

    Stick to the riding and ignore all advice about showing up in Dubai disguised as a cyclist. Apparently they have cameras pointed in all directions that will capture you if you attempt to enter the bathroom as a cyclist and leave as a non-spandex-wearing-normal-guy. It could cause an international incident.

    You're a stud

    Marco

    ReplyDelete