Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Day 32

                                                                     Day 32
                                                     Amsterdam, NY to Keene, NH
                                                    125 miles, avg speed 15.4 MPH

     It was a great day today.  The weather was perfect, mid 70's some sunshine, and no rain.  The wind may have been with us for part of the time.  There was a lot of climbing, total 7800 feet, but it was broken up into a few long climbs and then 12 miles of rollers at the end.
     We started in New York, but by mile 63 we had entered Vermont.  This is many ways was the prettiest day of the ride, getting to see the rolling farmland in this neck of the woods.  It also was a spectacular cycling day with multiple ascents followed by thrilling descents.  I hit a max speed on one descent of 47 MPH.  Some in our group hit 50 MPH.  By mile 109 we had entered New Hampshire. 
     Tonight, a score of us went out to a local pub here in Keene.  Lots of laughing,
     I've been with this group for 32 straight days now.  This is the closest experience to the summer camps I went to as a teenager that I've had in my adult life.  We've all become tighter as time as gone on, sharing a lot of the same memories and being able to laugh about them and ourselves at the same time.  Tomorrow we will ride together for the final time, and although there's a definite sense of excitement knowing that we will soon be completing what certainly has been an epic journey, we will also be saying goodbye to people that we've become close with, many of which we will not be seeing again.  I don't know what more to say about that other than to acknowledge it. 

-Grinner

Crazy times for crazy guys

Beautiful tree-lined/water lined section of road in New York

New Hampshire!

Vermont!

Screaming descent

Hudson river

Biking along a quiet lake in New York

Vista from the top of Hogback Mountain, Vermont

4 comments:

  1. You say yes, I say no
    You say stop and I say go, go, go
    Oh, no
    You say goodbye and I say hello
    Hello, hello
    I don't know why you say goodbye
    I say hello
    Hello, hello
    I don't know why you say goodbye
    I say hello

    I say high, you say low
    You say why, and I say I don't know
    Oh, no
    You say goodbye and I say hello
    Hello, hello
    I don't know why you say goodbye
    I say hello
    Hello, hello
    I don't know why you say goodbye
    I say hello

    Why, why, why, why, why, why
    Do you say good bye
    Goodbye, bye, bye, bye, bye

    Oh, no
    You say goodbye and I say hello
    Hello, hello
    I don't know why you say goodbye
    I say hello
    Hello, hello
    I don't know why you say goodbye
    I say hello
    hello, hello
    I don't know why you say goodbye I say hello
    Hello

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark
    Ill be one of the first to say, and I mean it, a HUGE congratulations
    Very few could do it - most wouldnt even try, others cant finish
    You are in such an elite group now. What an accomplishment.
    To think that I was in a 1 hour spinning class again today. What a joke!!
    And how many people could write a blog like you did? I mean I agree we had to endure, but its definitely publishable
    CONGRATS again. You rock dude.
    DB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, truly amazing. Looking forward to seeing you in Boca.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that is pretty scenery. I am glad you stopped to take pics! Congrats on finishing today!

    ReplyDelete